Monday, September 13, 2010

On the road again

I’m thinking I should change the name of my blog to "Rippin’ Rambles" since I only ever seem to update it when I am traveling. Be that as it may, I’m on the road again, so to speak, so here I am: London terminal 1 Star Alliance lounge after an “executive class” flight over from Vancouver. I used my upgrade coupon this time to gain my reclining seat and fancy meals – definitely a great reward for airline loyalty. The thrill of the lounges is wearing off, though. Vancouver’s international departure lounge was small, busy and nothing special at all. This one is better – and some good food is to be had (vegetable pakora, onion bhaji, vegetable samosa – all fresh and hot) and a different range of magazines may be secured for reading later in my hotel, but still, basically, it’s just about as uncomfortable as anywhere else to have to spend 4 hours waiting for my connecting flight to Berlin.

Flights are an opportunity to see films that I wouldn’t normally get to watch: I usually try to pick a quirky Canadian or foreign one. This time’s was a gem again: Bruce McDonald (directing) and Don McKellar (writing) "This Movie is Broken" http://www.thismovieisbroken.com. Called a “rock show romance” it’s really just an amazing concert flick with a thin (and captivating) narrative spun around it. I also listened to the record of the band that appears in the film – Broken Social Scene – which was on the plane entertainment system as well, but it was nowhere near as good as the live show that had such an amazing range (and energy) of performers on stage.

More later...

No comments: